[at-l] Hiking poles - On Topic(ish)

>"...Bizarre to many of my friends, even those who hike, is this nearly spiritual connection I have with my hiking stick. To be without it is to be without a closest friend who has been with me on the trail, every step of the way. It's a little heavy, and it doesn't collapse, but it's been with me through it all, and on the toughest of false summits, it always seems to get me through with some comfort...I wouldn't hike anywhere without it," reports PeaceSpring.

A couple of years ago I retired the hiking stick that I cut from a piece of alder a trail crew had cut at the base of Dunn Notch Falls in Maine in 1991. It had so many fond memories associated with it, that I was afraid I might break it, and I didn't want other hikers to see a grown man cry.

My replacement -- also of alder -- is slightly more sophisticated. I use a Komperdell cork tip and strap and have glued a 1/4-20 screw in the top to make it serve as a monopod. I figure it will last longer than I will. Total cost $12, but the top gear includes a compass.

I've tried using two poles, but I find the sEcond just gets in the way when I stop to take photos, or to inspect an interesting flower or ponder a trail side bug.

WeaRY