[at-l] Hiking parents

At 10:14 AM 8/21/2004 -0400, Coosa Donaldson wrote:
>Much much later, Squire Boone, brother George and sister Sarah, took a
>boat to the "new world" from Devonshire, England and hiked into
>Pennsylvania settling in various areas near Philadelphia.  In 1750 they
>hiked from their Pennsylvania home to the Yadkin Valley area of North
>Carolina.  Of course we all know how Daniel and the family, including MY
>ggggggrandparents hiked to Kentucky through the Cumberland Gap.  (That
>would be Samuel Boone and Sarah Day Boone.)
>
>Toss in here that I am directly related to Pocahontas of the
>Powhattans.  AND that one of my ggggrandmothers was a full-blood who
>passed for white.  I THINK it was Quapaw but I'm still doing my
>research.  Those forebears were definitely hikers and "campers" by our
>modern terminological use of the word.

Come on now. I was talking about direct ancestors who you knew and
influenced you to hike. Jeeesh! If you are going back I suppose I could
count my GGgrandfather Stephen who came to NNY with the Vermont Militia
from St. Albans to fight in the War of 1812. He missed the Battle of the
Windmill. His unit arrived too late, which was fortunate because all the
Americans who had set out to "liberate" the Canadians were killed or
captured and none returned. Apparently he liked NNY though because he
returned with his family, crossing Lake Champlain on the ice with their
household goods on a sled drawn by a team of oxen. They built a lean-to on
the land he bought and stayed in that until spring when he could build a
house. Today I maintain an Adirondack lean-to so I suppose there is a
family precedent, sort of, but that's stretching it.