[at-l] of stoves and maps

Dear at-lers,

I've built various sized soda can stoves, even one with a Foster's Lager
can!  Who here knows or can explain the physics involved in the height
of the stove/can and the diameter.  I'm trying to figure out if it's
better to have one or the other to produce a greater surface flame.
Since I'm cooking for me and 2 hiker trash kids I need a longer cook
time and something tells me just adding more alcohol to the little soda
stove isn't the best option.  I have a boil time of about 12 mins. For 4
cups of water at about 56 degrees starting.  Should I build a short
Fosters (1/2 inch but a large diameter) or a taller soda can (1 1/2
inches, but a smaller diameter) or a tall fosters or put more fuel in
the soda can!  Options options.  It's how I entertain myself when I'm
not on the trail.

Speaking of trails.  It's July and in the south this is NOT hiking
season, but I can barely stand it.  I think I'll drag the kids out in a
couple of weeks for a 3-4 day trip depending on temps, snakes and bugs.
Thinking of the Natchez Trace area around Nashville or Buffalo River
area near the AR/TN border.  I've never been to either Natchez Trace or
Buffalo River area and wondered if any of you have (hiked those areas)
and found you actually needed a map.  I'm debating spending the $ for a
topo versus using the park's maps (which are usually just about
useless).  If the trails are well blazed we often don't consult maps
except for general directions at intersections.  Opinions?

Weasel 2 and hiker trash kids
P.S. I LOL reading someone's account of hiking on a closed trail.  I've
done that, but won't admit to where!  Let's just say I'm grateful it was
shoulder season for hunting!

---