[at-l] Lebanon man falls off slope near trail

In a message dated 6/25/2004 10:32:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
AThiker@smithville.net writes:

I wasn't  saying it's about rights to bring or not bring. It's about
feeling you  CAN'T go because you don't bring. It's about feeling tied
down to  sidewalks and street lights and cell phones.
*

I merged a couple of old threads... I agree with you.
There's nothing you can't go without if you want to.
We just have to wean them off their electronic "bottles".
But then again, some people don't want to go without their electronics,
to them,doing something without them is not worth doing. It's the age they
were
born into, maybe going without a cell phone is scarier to them than facing  a
bear.
Who knows.

>We have the freedom to choose what we carry with  us. What weight we want
>to carry with us, in our packs, or mentally. I  have no issues what-so-ever
>with
>bringing cell phones on  the trail. I only have issues with their use
>there...

amen to all of this.  (By the way, I  sometimes carry a cell fone. I'm
not against them at all. I'm against the  feeling that someone can't go
way out there in the wild without  one)

*
To call all your girlfriends along the trail? ;-)

> Having
>a cell phone that saves a life is a  worthwhile thing to me.

I don't think you can argue with  that...I wasn't.
** I know.

>But I don't see how anyone would relate natural  selection to  an accident
in
>the woods.
>The overwhelming  reaction to someone being hurt is to help them... No
matter
>what.
>No matter if they are fools or not, smart, smelly,   carrying a  cell phone,
>or a GPS.
>It's human nature.. At  least I hope it is.
>
>(This wasn't directed at anyone in  particular)

*
hotdog