[at-l] GPS question

> If you are really serious about using GPS in the third world, you need to
> move up to a professional unit from someone like Trimble. The consumer
> oriented units by and large are not going to perform adequately for your
> needs. They barely suffice in North America.

Just to throw in my three cents...

It depends on the kind of antenna the unit has.  You want one with a
Quadrifilar Helix antenna.  I've been testing one for BackpackGearTest.org -
the Magellan SporTrak Topo.  You can read it here:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Navigation%20and%20Map%20Gear/GPS/Magellan%20SporTrak%20Topo%202003/Shane%20Steinkamp/

or

http://tinyurl.com/yvryy

GPS users may be further interested in this:

<http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/gps/gpsresources.htm

and

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/gps/bkpkmount.htm

which is a way to mount a GPS unit to your backpack.

Shane