[at-l] GPS question

> It depends on the kind of antenna the unit has.  You want one
> with a Quadrifilar Helix antenna.  I've been testing one for
> BackpackGearTest.org - the Magellan SporTrak Topo.  You can
> read it here:

But it is also important that you not block any satellites with your body.
My solution is really simple. I have a dowel with a metal plate screwed into
the end that goes into the drinking tube slot in the top of my pack and is
sized so that it is a few inches above my head. The Garmin external antenna
has a magnet base so it just sticks to the metal plate. The GPS unit itself
goes in its carrying case whose belt loop is threaded through the breast
strap on the pack where it is easy to reach and read when needed. I am using
it to map trails so I only need to look at it when I want to mark a
waypoint, such as a trail intersection or interesting feature. The rest of
the time is just sits there collecting track data.

---