[at-l] flying with gear

I am going to be flying out west for a bit and need to take my gear with me.

any hints on how to get it there with me.

the main problem I see is the sleeping pad those things are bulky and huge
and are going to push the limits of my space... I think I need to keep
things below 62 inches

length + width + height needs to be below 62 inches.

my best guesses right now are things coming to 64 inches....

I was thinking of either buying a cheap-o duffel bag or a cheap-o box and
taping the hell out of it.

other concerns ... I was going to take cardboard and wrap it around the
hiking pole tips. does this work.

I don't plan on bring any "fuel" for my alcohol stove or fuel bottle. is it
ok to bring a tin can stove.. you can bring booze... even residue should be
no worse then the booze people store in their bags. should I not worry about
that. I actually don't plan on taking any bottles.

I am liking the box idea right now and taking my sleeping pad and wrapping
it around the inside of the box and stuffing all the other stuff in there.
with blunted pole tips. then taping it up.

I am trying to read though the information supplied by American airlines on
what I can bring and how I bring it but it does not mention alcohol as ok or
not ok. and it does not mention cardboard boxes.

anyone with experience want to give me some pointers please

Wisperlight