[at-l] Re: Sport (or not!)

Those of a competitive mind seem to be able to turn everything into a
competition but to be a 'sport' (IMHO) there should be a recognized system
of keeping score. Between the number of miles, purity of the hike,
slackpacking vs carrying everything, etc., etc. there isn't even consensus
on how to do it much less on how to keep score. The advantage to not having
any uniform definition of course is everyone can define it for themselves
and be "the winner' in his/her own mind if that is the kind of stroke you
need. I just prefer to go and walk and enjoy the woods. I really don't give
a hoot who thinks they did it faster, better, more pure or any of that
junk. To me that is just taking psychic baggage from daily life into the
woods with you.