[at-l] Sport (or not!)

ok, new thread.  I note that OB refers to "our sport".  I open the
discussion as to whether hiking, backpacking (thru-hiking) is a 'sport'
or something else.
   The dictionary (Encarta) defines sport as (first defintion):
1. competitive physical activity: an individual or group competitive
activity involving physical exertion or skill, governed by rules, and
sometimes engaged in professionally ( often used in the plural )
Hiking: very few rules.
Backpacking: ditto.
Thru-hiking: very few rules unless you want a patch (NFP).

I sort of prefer the second definition which reads as follows:
2. pastime: an active pastime participated in for pleasure or exercise

The seminal difference to me is the first embodies competition, and the
second does not.  Hiking, backpacking, etc. do not (should not?) involve
competition.  (How would you keep score?) :)

Anyone else have any thoughts?