[at-l] Buffer around Baxter?

         ***    I'd really love to respond to this ridiculing of what the AT
is basically about. Especially the suggestion that shelters, silnylon, deet,
and toilet paper are the target of obsessive Trail controllers. But, alas,
it seems to be the thing that isn't "allowed". Funny how some people who
frequent the AT so closely are totally averse to its organized wildness
ethic when it comes down to it. I wonder if they are having a miserable time
in Baxter?

       I thank Baxter for having the backbone to stand up for what they
are...

 ~~~~~~~~~

To which rusty [who's a bit antsy]  replies,

Tell me RnR, what is the AT basically about?   Please tell me why a few
radio towers and power to the ranger cabins is against what the "AT is
about."  Tell me why safety for hikers in trouble on Pamola may be of such
little concern to you?  You see, that is my overall concern.

"[O]rganized wilderness ethic" is a oxymoron.  Do we sign a document that
says 'I hereby submit that Baxter State Park is not to be responsible for
any injury that may incur."  Then do away with the Ranger system there and
set up a guard house.  With the numbers that hike Pamola, what happens when
someone needs immediate help down the mountain when there is no radio
contact?  What if it is your child or grandchild, RnR?

Baxter and the AT is not the PCT or a trail in the Andes, as much as you
would like it to be.