[at-l] Buffer around Baxter?

In a message dated 4/17/04 12:08:56 PM, the_rev_mrf@kingcon.com writes:

> None of this high tech syl nylon, 1.5 lb back packs, or other
> clothes.? And, if you're in trouble, you've gotta have someone walk out and
> return with a troop carrying a litter.? No helicopters or radios out there.
> And tear down all the shelters built in places where they weren't in 1948.
> No maps or profiles allowed.? Not even toilet paper.? If you have DEET with
> you, it's off the trail you go.? Sleeping bags?? No siree!?? Just a bed
> roll.? Blah, blah.

          ***     I'd really love to respond to this ridiculing of what the
AT is basically about. Especially the suggestion that shelters, silnylon, deet,
and toilet paper are the target of obsessive Trail controllers. But, alas, it
seems to be the thing that isn't "allowed". Funny how some people who
frequent the AT so closely are totally averse to its organized wildness ethic when it
comes down to it. I wonder if they are having a miserable time in Baxter?

        I thank Baxter for having the backbone to stand up for what they
are...