[at-l] Buffer around Baxter?

Buffers around Baxter are not a new idea. The Nature Conservancy has already
purchased easement lands to the west and fee lands to the south. The State of
Maine tried unsuccessfully to buy land to the east, but was outbid by
speculators.

 I spend half my time these days working as a volunteer director of the Maine
 Appalachian Trail Land Trust that seeks buffers for all the trail in Maine --
 and that certainly includes Baxter State Park.

 Not everyone agrees that this is a good idea. A thru hiker on another site has
 accused me of "killing" this list by talking about such "boring" things. Rusty
 has worried that buffers will destroy the comforts that hikers have begun to
 expect.

 But from time to time we pick up supporters. Anyone who thinks trail buffers
 and Baxter Park buffers are important should join the Maine Appalachian Trail
 Land Trust. A founding membership costs just $100. The address is MAT Land
 Trust, PO Box 325, Yarmouth, Maine 04096

 Weary