[at-l] USB ports

At 06:22 PM 3/22/2004 -0500, Felix wrote:
>J Bryan Kramer wrote:
>
>>The short answer is nowhere since Win98 does not support USB
>>
>>Win98SE does support USB the only possible place that it would occur to me
>>to look for USB port configuration is in the device manager in the control
>>panel, probably in the system applet but it 's been so long since I used
>>Win98 that I am not sure about that. What do you want to configure anyway,
>>there aren't any settings that I know of.
>I'm trying to get it so that I can 'upload' from my harddrive to my camera
>(remember that one from a few months ago?). The folk at HP told me that I
>need to make my camera appear to be a removable disk drive. In order to do
>so, I need to change the USB config. to disk drive mode.
>(and, I assume that since I have USB ports, and USE them, that Win98 does
>support USB.)

Felix, I've checked my copy of Windows 98 Resource Kit and find nothing on
setting USB port configuration. It is supposed to be Plug and Play and
since you use the ports for other things I'm assuming the card is seated
properly. Some things to check:

Are you turning the camera on after connecting the USB cable (usually to
the setting for reviewing photos on the LCD screen)? I find that sometimes
you won't get a connection if the camera is turned on before plugging it
into the USB port.

Possibly you have a USB 1 port and the camera is USB 2.0. If so that could
be your problem. Another possibility is that you are trying to connect
through a USB hub that you have added to expand your ports. Some devices
will not work from a USB hub and/or the hub might be USB 1.

Are you getting any error messages? If so, what are they?