[at-l] Gear Sled

On Thursday, March 11, 2004, at 08:02 PM, Paul Magnanti wrote:

> --- Amy <askowronek@mindspring.com> wrote:
>> setup?  I used
>> a sled to haul hay last winter and it tipped over
>> pretty
>> frequently.
>>

> How as the hay balanced? Did you cross the PVC pipes
> in an X pattern? Were the pipes too long?  Was the
> center of gravity too high due to how the hay was
> stacked

No PVC pipes, just ropes.  The center of gravity wasn't very high.
Hay bales aren't much more than a foot tall, and they're three
to four feet long and wider than they are tall.  I'd put one
bale on a sled.

> My sled did not tip once in the veryp powdery snow. If
> it was more of the icy type snow often found out
> East,that may or may not been a problem...

I actually had better results with icy snow than powder.
And even with the tipping, the sled made moving the
hay bales possible when it really wouldn't have been with
me postholing while carrying it.  (I tried.)

-amy