[at-l] @#%&()(^$ @!$^*()*&* ENOUGH! ;-)

Shelly Hale
>While this conversation has been (at least it was in the beginning) very
>stimulating and educating to watch,  (I rather enjoy conversations that I
>have to dig up info on!) it has now become a pain and a real waste.  This
>has been much like the recent North vs South discussion.  We're going down
>in a ball of flames!!!  Houston, we have a big a$$ problem here.

Shelly -
In the beginning, God made -----

Oh - wrong story.  <G>

In the beginning, these threads are usually educational to some degree.  And
they "can" be edcational for quite a while if one of the participants
doesn't start name-calling because they fail to understand what's being said
and take it personally.  Re: the North-South thread - I didn't get home
until Monday night and missed most of it.  When I did read a couple (3 to be
exact) posts, I found some absolute garbage - and haven't read anymore
since.  And those 3 posts were at the beginning of the thread.  So I
understand Steve Adams' attitude and actions - sorta.  But --- deleting ALL
posts by a single poster?  I don't think I'll comment on that.  Oh - I just
did, didn't I?Well, HYOH  <VBG>

>  Well, you could all just agree to disagree as the gentlemen that
>you are.  Or, you could simply state your belief and list sources so that
>the rest of us that have hung in here to the bitter end can go read up on
>this and make up our own minds.

Hmm - that's what I keep telling you do do, Shelly - make up your own mind.
There are, unfortunately, those who would rather make up your mind for you.
I've never found them to be at all successful except with the gullible and
stupid.  And there aren't a lot of those on this list.

>Oh!  I think that is an excellent idea!  If each of you that have been
>involved in this "debate" (said tongue-in-cheek ;-)) could provide your
>belief and the reason why along with a list of sources for further
>information, I would certainly appreciate it.

That's a good idea -  I'm not gonna get into which is the "best" book about
either side of the subject, but you might start with "Global warming ;
opposing viewpoints" ISBN  0737709081.  It gives a little of both sides of
the argument. Probably available at your local library - which, by the way
is a good place to find other reference material on the subject.  If you try
Google, you'll also find a plethora of information on the Internet.  I have
a file full of URLs that play both sides of the fence.

Keep in mind that whatever you read will be at least as polarized as
anything you've seen here.  And that ALL of it - even what was published
last year - is already out of date.  As I said - I get a constant stream of
new science reports that support BOTH sides of the argument.  Which, in
terms of real science, means neither side is entirely right and the theory
is in dire need of modification.

Uh - also keep in mind that the government is NOT unbiased.  And that the UN
IPCC reports start with a lie - and end with one.  My wife worked for the
people who contributed parts of that report - it's not "entirely" trash, but
it's not as good as some of it's advocates believe either.

Oh - as long as we're here - for whoever thought Bryan's stuff about the
Journal of Climate editors being "fired" was because they'd published
non-peer reviewed papers --- my wife would have a real problem with that -
she was in the middle of the peer review process for that journal for a
number of years.  Nothing (NOTHING) gets into that journal that's not peer
reviewed almost to death.

Hmm - keep in mind also that one of the prime characteristics of an
"amateur" is that they consider the source of the information to be more
important than the information itself.  When I read newspapers, for example,
(and that's not often) - I read both the Washington Post AND the Washington
Times (both right wing AND left wing rags).  They present generally
different pictures of the same events - and the truth is generally someplace
in the middle.

Anyway - have fun with it, but don't get too carried away.  Remember that
several hundred years ago the majority of "reputable scientists" believed in
the phlogiston version of the world - and less than 100 years ago, the Bohr
atom was the latest and greatest version of reality.  And then there was
last night's 20/20  presentation -------

Be skeptical -

Now - the recent subects of conversation here have become entirely boring,
so I'm gonna go put a finish coat on some furniture (Das Shicklegruber is a
demanding beastie) and then see if I can find and install another battery
back-up to my other sump pump.  Oh, yeah - and then there's my daughter's
computer that needs repair.  It's gonna be too busy a day for much more of
this kinda stuff.

Walk softly,
Jim

Check out the new MSN 9 Dial-up ? fast & reliable Internet access with prime