Maybe, just maybe.... Re: [at-l] Parenting, Holmes, and measuring life

--- Kelly Whitman <kellyswhitman@hotmail.com> wrote:
> We were talking about a hiker, weren't we?  lol

### No. We were talking about a fellow human. One employed as a
ranger -- a ranger known for being the last on the mountain if
there were anyone needing help down. Maybe that "anyone" might
have been you, Miss Non-Hiker, Challenged Triathlete,
Throughhiker Wannabe, late on returning to your car from a first
winter ascent of Monadnock. Maybe it's way cold, and the only
ranger willing to expose themselves to the "danger" without
being asked twice is Ken Holmes. Maybe he's the only one to
encourage others to go because he's seen this cold-and-worse,
having tested himself back in January 2004. Maybe you'll live
because people like him test themselves.

Maybe it won't be you, but a son or daughter for whom you'd give
your life in the snap of a finger. Maybe Ranger Ken goes up in
"impossible" conditions to save your son or daughter, and dies
in the attempt. Maybe someone down below, as both bodies are
being loaded into a silent ambulance, comments that his going on
such a rescue was "irresponsible". Maybe you punch that person
right in the nose.

"I'm just sayin'..."

sloetoe

=====