[at-l] Parenting, Holmes, and measuring life

Sir Toe wrote:
>### "Irresponsible" to say 'irresponsible'? I'd have to agree.
>All who've commented negatively have nothing close to this man's
>experience. It's as if they didn't even read the article
>provided. How dare any measure Holmes' "responsibility" without
>knowing him?

I find little, if anything, that I wouldn't agree with in what Toey wrote
here.  Ginny and I are supposedly experienced hikers - and yet, we've both
found ourselves in situations where hypothermia has "tapped us on the
shoulder" as Toey puts it.  We've both taken falls that could have killed or
crippled us.  We've both found ourselves in more than one life-threatening
situation on the trail.  So - are we "irresponsible"?  Really?  If you
believe that, if you believe "safety" is a paramount consideration in life,
then maybe the trails aren't a place you should go.

One thing that seems to be overlooked in this discussion is that, like some
others here, I've found myself in more life-threatening situations in my
"ordinary" life than when I've been hiking - and I've been a LOT closer to
death in some of those situations.  If I had died when the AIQ's tried to
hijack my truck - if the ranger had died like that - would either of us have
been deemed "irresponsible"?  Really?

If he hadn't died as he did - how can anyone be sure that he wouldn't have
died in an auto accident on the way home?  Is that any better a death than
what he met?  I've spent the last  - what? - at least 50 years - with death
riding my left shoulder - with the constant knowledge that every time I walk
out the door may be my last.  But I still go out that door every day.  Is
that "irresponsible"?

Oh, yeah - and I've got 3 kids.  And a mess of grandchildren.  But I have
never and will never allow my children to run my life.  So - am I cold,
unfeeling, irresponsible, selfish?  Answer - I don't thnk so.  But I am an
individual, I live my own life, I choose my own path - with the knowledge
that my life is limited and that in order to live fully I must live it "my"
way - not to please others.  Not even my children or grandchildren.

Kelly said - " Protecting our country and cities is necessary.  What he did
was not."

So - who are you to make that judgment?  If I'd died on the CDT - it would
also have been my choice in being there.  And I'd rather it be by my choice
like that than at the hands of some random idiot with a gun in downtown
Phoenix or New York. Or by the lousy judgment of some drunk driver.   So are
you gonna tell me that it wasn't necessary for me to be on the CDT?  How
would you know that?

It might not be necessary for you - but then much of what I've done with my
life wouldn't be necessary for you either, would it?  So how can you judge
what was necessary  - for him, forToey or for me?

Enuff -  there's another quote that comes to mind -
"There is no triumph without risk.  Never trust a man who thinks there is. "
       Gustavus Adolphus (AD 1632)

Walk softly,
Jim