[at-l] Way, way OT Drive and computer Trouble!!

 > >"...you can fault MS for many things but bugs in the OS isn't one of them."
 >
 > How come I never had all these problems with CP/M?
 >
 > Weary

I think (for me, at least) the most irritating thing about MS is their
insistence that the OS should be all things to all users. I would prefer a
simpler OS that allows me to run the software I choose. As it is I have an
OS that incorporates a paint program I never use, a camera and scanner
wizard I never use, an image viewer that I never use, an audio program that
I never use, an email program I don't use, a browser that I never use,
etc., etc., etc. It is my experience that the "integrated" programs (with
the exception of Internet Explorer which I still don't use) are minimal and
second (if not third) rate pieces of software that no one would buy if they
were marketed separately.

Not only did MS insistence on incorporating all these other programs into
the OS cause all their anti-competitive legal difficulties, they also
created a bloated OS loaded down with stuff I didn't need/want/use but that
eats up hard drive and RAM space requiring ever more powerful machines. I
would have been a lot happier if MS had focused on creating an OS that was
stable and developer friendly so that the programs I *do* want and use
would run reliably.