[at-l] GPS questions: altimeter

----- Original Message -----
From: <wb4pan@mindspring.com>

> Teresa,
>             Generally I reset my altimeter when I get to a known point .
In the mornings I reset it to the value I recorded before bedtime the night
before. This compensates for the overnight changes in barometric pressure.

**That sounds like a good way to start the day right.  What constitutes a
'known point'?  Judging from my AT experience this year, signs on mountain
peaks don't always agree with data in guides or on maps.  Are they not
significantly different, so that it doesn't matter?

>             I really enjoy my Sunto rest computer. Each day it reports
total feet ascended and total feet descended. Also it records totals for an
entire trip. Those little hills really add up!

**If I had one 'toy' on the AT with me, I would've had something like that!
I like stats.

**Thanks all, for your replies!
:-)
Wench