[at-l] MATC and Windmills

Rick:

 We have had an environmental lawyer from one of the state's largest law firms
 working with us for the past year for free. He starts billing once the
 application is filed -- expected within a few weeks. We have an annual budget
 of $135,000 -- though dues only brings in $9,000. But volunteers contribute in
 excess of 20,000 hours of labor each year. I don't know if volunteer time value
 helps with the amount we can spend on legal/political activities or not.

 But the vote, which was unanimous, included a requirement that counsel be
 consulted before the money is spent. ATC has also pledged to contribute
 whatever it takes to provide an effective opposition.

 We are well aware of the difficulties we face. The leading environmental group
 in Maine is in the camp of the wind power developers. Thirty years ago when an
 oil boycott by OPEC resulted in calls for damming the last of Maine's wild
 rivers, our environmental friends forced through the Legislature a law that
 classified rivers. So called "A" rivers could not be dammed. Others could be.

 It's our argument that the same thinking applies to wind power and that if any
 mountains deserve to be called Class A, it's the cluster of 4,000-footers
 between Saddleback and Bigelow, where the proposed industrial wind site would
 be located.

 Weary