Fw: [at-l] links to my recent NH and PA pics

Roks wrote:
> > I can tell you that both the analyses and the tests indicate that the
> > pointy hiking poles do no more (and probably less) damage than Weary's
> > wooden staff with his rubber crutch tip.
> >

>         ***   I believe a recent through-hiker responded to this topic
>advising us that he had seen visible signs of hiking pole impact on the
>trailbed.

So?  I can show you a lot of impact from deer, bear, hiking boots, downed
trees, etc.  None of it classifies as long term damage to the trail. It's
temporary.   If you think there's long term damage to the trail - then show
us.  Where is it?  Pictures?  We're listening.

Keep in mind though that Lekis aren't unique to the US - they've been used
in Europe for nearly 50 years - and there are no reports of damage to the
European trails.  In fact, Lekis were only a lightweight replacemant for the
steel hiking poles that had been used for a century or more before that.

You might also keep in mind that European weather is generally more rainy
than the US so the "damage" would show up even faster.  And that the
European trails get more use than the AT.

>Since that specific type of disturbance wasn't directly visible before
>sharp-pointed hiking poles appeared, I assume we can attribute this visible
>indication
>to a distinct and separate action. Therefore it is unlikely that the new
>sharp
>pointed poles do no more or less damage than previously existing sticks
>(which left no such distinct markings)...

That's what's called an unwarranted assumption, Roks.

>I also don't believe that persons couldn't get by with the rubber tips...

"Get by" is an interesting term - it means using something that's less than
optimum.  For hikers, it means more injury, more pain and more uncompleted
thruhikes.  I know - Weary thinks his rubber tips are just as good as Lekis.
  But the actual dynamics of the two say that he's simply biased in favor of
his rubber tips.  If it works for him, fine --- but I don't think he
actually knows that.

If you actually try a comparison between the Lekis and the rubber tips in
the Georgia mud during a rainy year, you'd find it a lot harder to get up
those steep pitches with those rubber tips.  And you'd do "more damage" to
the trail with your boots than the Lekis could.

Groove on the latest from the hot new rock groups!  Get downloads, videos,
and more here.  http://special.msn.com/entertainment/wiredformusic.armx