Fw: [at-l] links to my recent NH and PA pics

In a message dated 11/23/2003 10:22:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
spiriteagle99@hotmail.com writes:

> I can tell you that both the analyses and the tests indicate that the
> pointy hiking poles do no more (and probably less) damage than Weary's
> wooden staff with his rubber crutch tip.

        ***   I believe a recent through-hiker responded to this topic
advising us that he had seen visible signs of hiking pole impact on the trailbed.
Since that specific type of disturbance wasn't directly visible before
sharp-pointed hiking poles appeared, I assume we can attribute this visible indication
to a distinct and separate action. Therefore it is unlikely that the new sharp
pointed poles do no more or less damage than previously existing sticks
(which left no such distinct markings)...

               I also don't believe that persons couldn't get by with the
rubber tips...