[at-l] Photo Of Old Growth Chestnut Tree

At 09:27 AM 11/22/2003 -0500, athummingbird@dnet.net wrote:
>Here in the Smokies the Balsam Firs and Hemlocks are having a similar fate.
>There is a group here that is obtaining seeds and nurturing seedlings.  It
>is so sad to see all that acid rain there.  The problem is not in N.C.
>either but the surrounding states as far as Louisiana that send all the bad
>air into the Smokies.  It is hard to breath in the Smokies now, very poor
>quality air.  We camped there several times during the summer but I was
>unable to walk or hike very far because my asthma would kick in.  It hardly
>bothers me at all any place else.

The Adirondacks are suffering a similar fate from acid rain. Much of the
pollution in the "Dacks comes from power plants and industry in Ohio. The
Clean Air Act was supposed to have mitigated that but the politicians (the
current administration in particular) think that profits are more important
than clean air.