[at-l] Photo Of Old Growth Chestnut Tree

Here in the Smokies the Balsam Firs and Hemlocks are having a similar fate.
There is a group here that is obtaining seeds and nurturing seedlings.  It
is so sad to see all that acid rain there.  The problem is not in N.C.
either but the surrounding states as far as Louisiana that send all the bad
air into the Smokies.  It is hard to breath in the Smokies now, very poor
quality air.  We camped there several times during the summer but I was
unable to walk or hike very far because my asthma would kick in.  It hardly
bothers me at all any place else.

When I was growing up in New England I remember all the Dutch Elms dying
from Dutch Elm Disease.  We had so many lovely ones surrounding our home and
I remember watching my Mom cry when the last of them died.  I wonder if
there are any of those still in existence.

It is so sad to see these lovely trees disappear.  I am surprised that there
does not seem to be more interest on the list to try and help save some of
these for our children and their children.

Hummingbird