Fw: [at-l] links to my recent NH and PA pics

As hikers pass over the trail they not only compress the soil but wear it
away and scuff aside the leaves that fall in the footway. Falling leaves
cover the other rocks and rot creating a loose cover that hides them where
they are not disturbed. The moss may well be the result of pole use since
it appears to be a fairly level section. The poles would loosen the soil so
it would hold water better making it a better habitat for moss. I've seen
similar patterns of growth by other plants at the trailside in more well
drained areas.

To avoid another "pointed poles will lead to the destruction of the AT"
thread I hereby concede that in some steep sections of trail, carelessly
used pointy poles probably contribute to erosion.