taking maps/compass or not... Re: Re[2]: [at-l] What about thebooks?

--- Slyatpct@aol.com wrote:
> Thanks for the kudos.  I added the standard disclaimers to my
> original post with ymmv, why you can't accept that I don't
know.
### Cuz your "ymmv" is yet accompanied by advice that maps don't
need to be carried -- that's not the same as saying "I don't
carry one." Your mileage may vary, Sly, but the physical trail's
does not, and having a map informs an emergency "bail-out"
gambit. No rocket science there.

> However, if an emergency should arise, I repeat, I'm more
likely to take the trail or a noted side trail to a road, then
to bushwack to heaven knows where.  I don't need a map for
that, it's all in the databook!
### No, it *ain't* "all in the databook." And you're not going
to nnnnnneed "it" till you're having a really bad day. "Why you
can't accept *that* I don't know." But it's really no different
than driving around in your car during some pressing situation
-- unless you want to tell me you treat road directions like
trail directions and that your glove box has no maps and that
you don't consult them when you need to figure the most likely
direction around a tie-up, to the quickest bathroom, filling
station, or coffee source... Nahhhhh, let's just take this left
and see what happens.

Hope that helps.
I'm done.
Carbohydratoe