taking maps/compass or not... Re: Re[2]: [at-l] What about thebooks?

Sloetoe,

Thanks for the kudos.  I added the standard disclaimers to my original post
with ymmv, why you can't accept that I don't know.  However, if an emergency
should arise, I repeat, I'm more likely to take the trail or a noted side trail
to a road, then to bushwack to heaven knows where.  I don't need a map for
that, it's all in the databook!

If I want a sunrise, I know it rises in the east.  A sunset?  Look west.  If
there isn't any sun, there is no sunset.  I carry enough water to the next
noted water source.  Perchance I stumble on another, I drink if I feel like it.
If I see a nice camp spot along the trail and it's time to camp, I camp.  If I
want to take a side trail I can do that too and have without a map.

While you're offering advice about taking a map and compass, do the folks a
favor and add a link or two on how to use them.  All the requirements of my
advice is to be able to read and pay attention to white blazes.  It's not rocket
science.

Sly