[at-l] Re: at-l Digest, Vol 7, Issue 12 "Weather Forecast for2004"

Bror8588@aol.com wrote:
> Now, I too will be on the AT in 2004 and like the idea of knowing
> what the weather will be like but will an Australian gov't be able to
> predict an Eastern USA weather pattern?  As someone noted, "we can't
> even get a 7 day forecast right."

As Hoplite explained it to me:

"The Y axis is the SOI, short for the Souther Oscillation Index.
Briefly, its an index of a particular pressure differential between
Tahiti and Darwin (different ends of the Pacific ocean).  A negative Y
value on the graph corresponds to an El Nino period, resulting in
comparatively warm seasons in North America.  That's what we appear to
be entering/in now."