[at-l] Trail Food, How do you carry 7 days

>"... Are some of these comments from the rosy view of hiking 10 years ago?"

Nothing much has really changed from 10 years ago -- or 40 years ago for that
matter. The minimum amount of daily trail food remains at 2 pounds. And
realistically, that requires gorging in towns to avoid hike-destroying weight
loss.

Weight has always been a concern. Forty years ago the founder of Gerry hiking
gear was promoting maximum pack weights of 19 and 21 pounds.

 Those weights are easier to attain now. Gear has become lighter, almost as
light as Gerry urged 40 years ago. We think there has been a change. But the
change reflects growing weights in the late 70s, and 80s, not the basic weights
that have always been available at least since the 50s, when gear makers
finally used the innovations developed during WWII.

>"... Must I go on a starvation diet too or is this lightweight kick a bunch  of
>bunk?

No. But hikers quickly learn to face reality. If you starve yourself on the
trail, as Liteshoe reports, you will gorge in the towns.

A book could, and should be, written about the trade offs required by different
hiking schemes. Light weight for most requires an early start -- because
skimping on clothing means more days in town, both early and late, and
inevitably more town expenses, as hikers face storms with inadequate gear, and
usually more total hike expenses.

A later start, heavier gear, more food carried between towns stops,  means fewer
town stops, and a less expensive hike.

There are no free lunches.

Weary