[at-l] Trail Food, How do you carry 7 days

Hey all.

I don't understand all the discussion of food and avoiding drop locations
because you can just carry 7 or more days and motor on.  I hate trail towns
as much as any of you but I've hit my bottom limit on food weight per day at
2lbs or just under.  I've cut a great deal from my pack and have a base
weight of 14lbs and by God I won't double it to 28 lbs in order to skip a
drop in 3 or 4 days.  I don't think my pack will even carry 28lbs with any
comfort for me.

This is said in the context of active packing mode in pre trip planning.
There are boxes in the basement ready to be sent out that weigh 8lbs.  Are
some of these comments from the rosy view of hiking 10 years ago?   Or
better, are they from folks who resupply from a cache hidden at a trail
head?

I've skimped on shelter, clothing, cooking, water filtration and pack.  I
walk a lot of miles per day.  Must I go on a starvation diet too or is this
lightweight kick a bunch of bunk?

TW

PS. This is in  no way a comment of food for a 5 month hike where a hiker is
tired of damn near anything that can be put in a mail drop and eaten.

Is your computer infected with a virus?  Find out with a FREE computer virus
scan from McAfee.  Take the FreeScan now!