[at-l] Moose bagging

...which is not quite the same as bear bagging--or even peak bagging...

If you don't manage a close encounter on the AT, I recommend Isle Royale National Park. And, as the poor Maine hunter learned, remember that moose can be nasty during rut (this time of the year). I posted this years ago, but I knew an older couple who did a later-than-recommended hike on Isle Royale. On their next-to-the-last day out, she startled a moose and was charged. They were on a bog bridge, and she lost her footing in the excitement--imagine that!--and did a face plant. Her husband jumped into position, roaring and making himself as big as possible (sweating profusely all the while). Fortunately, the bull reconsidered at the last moment.

They say that moose have bad eyesight and a retreating backpacker can be mistaken for the hindquarters of a female. Scarey thought...

Oh, yeah, I'm back-
Give Me Chocolate