[at-l] When do you tent?

In a message dated 8/15/03 2:24:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
nealb@midlandstech.edu writes:

> You're on the trail.  When do you decide to tent for the night? (Or
> Shelter.
> Or Hammock.  Etc.)

Lota variables here. Depends on your hiking ability, your goals, (you have a
daily mileage you need to make in order to get to a town for a mail-drop, etc.
or you just want a leisurely hike to get outside), the weather conditions,
camping regulations of the section of trail you're on...you get the idea.

Pretty much, if regulations are fairly strict, i.e. no bootleg camping
allowed, I plan a few places I consider stopping for the day using a map and/or
trail guide. When I get to the first one if I'm tired enough, or want to get out
of the weather, I stop, if I feel strong or otherwise motivated, I continue.

If there aren't any strict regulations, when I start noticing signs of
fatigue, I begin looking for a suitable place to pitch my tent. Preferably one with
a water source nearby.

As far as not hiking with a watch, I guess you get a feel for the amount of
sunlight left by the sun's position in the sky. If you're not conformable with
night hiking, you can estimate the amount of daylight left by holding your
hand at arm's length, palm open, with fingers parallel to the horizon. Count the
fingers between the sun and the horizon, estimate 15 minutes per finger.

I don't know if that helps.
     WannaRedLeaf