[at-l] OT Tropical Outlook

On Tuesday, August 12, 2003, at 01:34  PM, William Neal wrote:
> ?
> Has anyone heard of anyone being caught on the AT in a hurricane??
> What would you do?

Me,  kinda.  I wasn't on the AT, I was in Dolly Sods.  I thought it had
finished
going through, but it turns out it hadn't.  I was a bit further inland
than the AT,
but the AT itself isn't all that near the coast in my area.  :)

I spent one really really wet day in the tent, then decided I'd rather
be
wet than bored.  Oh, was I wet.  It rained so hard you couldn't hear
anything.  I surprised somebody on the trail by walking up behind them.
I had a hard time getting her attention, and I didn't want to just tap
on
her because she had an ax.  I spent all my time wading because
the trail was under water.  I actually went by a stream at one point
which was shallower than the water on the trail.

I think most people would probably do what I did, which is get off the
trail for a bit.  I stopped in Shenandoah on the way home, and all
the trails were closed for a day or two.  Too many blowdowns, and
the trails themselves were completely unwalkable in places because
they'd been washed out down to 18" below ground level or more.
Plus there were widowmakers all over.

(Okay, so they were closed but I had to sneak a peek, didn't I?)

-amy