(Guest Post) Re: [at-l] To gaiter, or not to gaiter...

* Message posted to AT-L from the National Scenic Trails Website
* by our guest Mara Factor <m_factor@hotmail.com>.
* Please use <mailto:m_factor@hotmail.com> to reply to the sender.

Hi all,

I'm still on the road, about to hit the Outdoor Retailer show, and not yet back on-list but thought I would chime in here...  (using guest post because hotmail is down right now)

Lots of good points have been brought up about gaiters but I just wanted to add a couple of things.  Not only are there tall and short gaiters, but there are different materials being used to make gaiters.  There are also close fitting gaiters and ones that fit more loosely.

If you're thinking about summer use, I would look for lightweight, short gaiters that are breathable but not necessarily waterproof.  They'll keep out the rocks and dirt that otherwise get into your shoes and will likely keep out light rain, too.  In heavy rain, your feet are probably going to get wet no matter what you're wearing.  Your feet will still sweat more than without the gaiters but it won't be nearly as bad as when using the waterproof ones like the OR shorty goaiters.

I liked them on the AT bacause my socks stayed cleaner for a lot longer and when you wear them for a couple/few days, they're a lot more comfortable.

On the PCT, they did little to keep my socks clean though they did keep rocks out.  I was wearing NB 991s and 806s and they both have so much mesh that the dirt gets in no matter what.  However, on the PCT, they helped keep the seed pods out of my socks.  Thankfully, they're not an issue on the AT.

I think I bought mine from Ragged Mountain Outfitters  in New Hampshire for $12.  But that was years ago so the prices may have changed.

I have no experience with the lycra-like tight fitting gaiters but hiked with two people who had them this year on the PCT and seemed to like them.

Anyway, there's no right or wrong answer to this particular question.  You'll just have to figure it out for yourself.  If you have a friend with a pair, try them out for a day or weekend and see how you like them.

Happy Hiking,

Mara
Stitches, AT99