(Guest Post) Re: [at-l] To gaiter, or not to gaiter...

Original Post:
If you're thinking about summer use, I would look for lightweight, short
gaiters that are breathable but not necessarily waterproof.  They'll keep
out the rocks and dirt that otherwise get into your shoes and will likely
keep out light rain, too.  In heavy rain, your feet are probably going to
get wet no matter what you're wearing.  Your feet will still sweat more than
without the gaiters but it won't be nearly as bad as when using the
waterproof ones like the OR shorty goaiters.

William, The Soggy Turtle's comments:
I did not use gaithers in 92.  I tended to wear long pants.  Except when I
took off my pants and just wore my "underwear": My hiking underwear was
basically men's swim trunks.  So I did have a need for gaithers.  And it
would not have helped.  When it rained, it usually soaked my feet within a
short time.  Especially in areas where water ran heavily downhill or where
the trail was heavily rutted -- once so bad that the water was over the top
of my boots.  I did manage a "fair" solution for the times the downpour was
medium: I took some extra trashbags -- the small kind.  Then I punched a
hole in the bottom.  Slide them up over my boots.  Snugged them down around
my legs -- usually with rubber bands I had, but a some of the times with
ducky tape.  Then I let them drop down over the boot tops.  I could usually
get a few uses out of them before having to trash them.