[at-l] Something I'd like to Say . . . [to me on-topic,but others may differ)

In reading through the AT-L digests over the past several months, and
doing a lot of thinking [and far less posting!], I've decided that I
wanted to struggle through a few big picture thoughts "out loud" with
the AT-L list.  Many of the posts I've been reading here for the past
several years (including some of myown!) are full of anger, judgment and
lots of other "stuff" that does not remind me of much of my actual AT
hike experience!

To me, the thoughts below are Trail related, for at least two reasons.
First, much of my thinking over the past two years has changed greatly
due to walking 1,300+ miles on the AT in 2001.  Second, I believe the
Trail is a great common ground metaphor for much of the "rest" of life.

My life has changed a great deal since that fateful day in early January
of 2001 when I went to my large law firm senior partner and told him I
was unhappy, burning out and wanted 6 months off to figure out whether I
still wanted to practice law at an 80 hour/week pace.  Even then, I
already kind of knew how I wanted to spend that time - walking North
from Springer Mountain in the woods!  I then promptly managed to get
"us" pregnant with our second child, delude myself that it was a good
time to leave my wife to thru-hike the AT, and head off walking "up"
from GA; I made it to PA with almost no physical problems, finally
realized that I needed to come home and hike on some emotional and
spiritual trails with my wife and larger family, did sneak back for a
couple of weeks up in VT and NH; then came back to my old law firm
position, but soon realized it was not going to work anymore for me
there . . .  I then watched thousands die before my eyes in NYC on live
TV; struggled through the suicide death of my older sister a month
later; started a much more relaxed legal career; helped create a "green"
real estate development; struggled to reassure my wife (and myself) that
I've not gone totally nuts [ :) ]; struggled mightily with my identity
as a person, husband, father, and "hero" son (hung up on pleasing
everyone but myself!); struggled to work with my wife to more honestly
face her addictive challenges; began learning to accept the fact that
her addictions are HER problems (and that my own co-dependent behaviors
in our relationship are MY OWN problems/addictions!], and still have
managed to find enough time in there to get back in the woods, climb
Mount Rainier, and hike more of the AT up in PA in the middle of this
spring's floods! :)

Anyhow, with the above as background, here is my effort to sum up some
of what I have learned in these past two, jam-packed, mind-boggling
years.  Some "keys to life" that I have just now started to learn about,
and am now trying to better put into practice are:  (1) The only
problems I can do anything about are MY OWN; (2) to do anything about my
own problems, I have to first honestly be able to recognize them for
what they are; (3) Almost everyone suffers from one or more of four
"core" addictions: (a) power/control; (b) sensations; (c) security ("not
enough"); and (d) suffering ("self-sabotage") [these "core" addictions
manifest themselves as process and chemical addictions - we hear a lot
about the chemical ones, but for many of us it's the process addictions
(codependency, sex, internet porn, romance, gambling, workaholism,
money, shopping, spending, computers, knowledge, etc.) that need to be
recognized and dealt with; (4) to overcome your own core addictions, you
need to admit that you are powerless over them [I'm still working on
this!]; (5) you then need to turn your own stubborn will over to the
care of God, as you understand him/her/it to be; and (6) then continue
to heal yourself in part by trying to pass on - in a constructive way
(see below) - what you have learned.

On this last point, I like this phrase, which I think came from AA:  "By
teaching it, I defend it, share it and come to own it - regardless of
whether my students hear me or succeed in their own lives."  [I think
the "it" is the 12-step process of AA - which works pretty well for ALL
of life's challenges!]

A lot of what I've worked through in the past two years can be summed up
this way.  God created everyone with perfect, divine love inside them.
No matter how much we tear ourselves down, that perfect love remains
undamaged somewhere deep inside each of us.  Once we figure out how to
"let go, let God," we have a shot at re-learning how to love ourselves
again.  Once we manage to do that [lifelong journey!], we then also have
a shot at loving others in constructive, non-dependent ways.

I think hiking long distances on the Trail allows me one way to engage
in purer forms of love - my love of wilderness [it does not have to love
me back, and I do not expect it to!]; my love of fellow thru-hikers [who
all generally have the same common goal, and whom - again - I am willing
to love with few strings attached because I did not my fellow travelers
before (yet, in a way, I did!), and I likely will not see most of them
ever again . . .  yet we all helped each other out without a second
thought, and we treated each other MUCH better than we do many of our
closest family and friends back home!  Why?  Because of our common
non-dependent loves, and our knowledge that we needed each other in
POSITIVE, NONDEPENDENT, CONSTRUCTIVE ways.

I reckon that the key to life is to remember those AT long distance hike
feelings - our close kinship to mostly unconditional forms of love - and
then apply them to every other part of our lives.

I've got a long way yet to walk in this journey; I hope that this post
somehow made sense to someone out there - but if not, I can smile
knowing that writing it was good for at least one person - me! :)

Thru-Thinker
[Clark Wright]