How hot the water? (was) RE: Re[2]: [at-l] First aid 101

>"...The problem with that is that you have to carry a thermometer. ;-) Or watch
>for a rolling boil.  Most people can tell when water's boiling.  Most people
>cannot or cannot remember any tell-tell signs for 160 degree water."

DelDoc says that when the first bubbles escape from the bottom of the pot, the
water is hot enuf. Yes some creatures have evolved to live in boiling water or
near boiling water of hot springs. There is no evidence that these creatures
exist along the AT -- or that they are among the relatively few microscopic
creatures that cause sickness.

 Some chemicals are removed by boiling. Some are concentrated. But there is no
 evidence that chemicals are a problem for those who use common sense in
 selecting water sources along the trail. I.e. don't drink from the springs on
 the Lehigh gap superfund site.

  Nor, for that matter, is there any real evidence that most hiker filters give
  more than mediocre protection, if any, from harmful chemicals that may
  contaminate drinking water.

  Weary