[at-l] De-lurk and two newie questions

>"...Lots of people mention eating Pop Tarts, Snickers, and soda like they're
>staple foods....I can't imagine including those things in my daily diet when
>I'm demanding that kind of hiking of my body."

Pop Tarts are probably as nutritious as oatmeal, rice and pasta, which are trail
basics. Snickers, with their peanuts, are more nutritious. Trail food by
necessity is mostly carbohydrates. The primary need is calories and all of the
above abound in calories.  Many use supplemental vitamins and minerals, which is
probably a good idea, though one I didn't follow.

>"...some of the comments make the trail sound like one big dorm lounge,
>especially in the shelters.  Are  the majority of the hikers, thru or not,
>college students?" Do the shelters tend to be places where socializing has
>priority (over getting a good night's rest for the next day)?  Do you really
>have to hike north to south to get any solitude?"

Most are not college students. Most hikers are people in transition -- between
jobs, between college and first jobs, newly retired, recovering from a death or
divorce, mid life crises, etc.

The nature of the trail ensures that most are relatively young, but all ages
will be met. Unless you deliberately join up with someone or some group, you
will be hiking solo all day, everyday, except for an occasional passing hiker.
Only at shelters near roads will you find serious partying. Most shelters are
pretty sedate places. The wildest thing you may regularly experience is someone
reading after dark -- attracting mosquitoes and no-see-ums inside. Most are
asleep a half hour after darkness falls -- or earlier. The towns are a different
story. But whether to participate or not is a personal decision.

I enjoyed staying in the shelters, listening to hiker chatter, participating in
the chatter, enjoying a bourbon. But booze is heavy, and tends not to be passed
around freely by those who carry a little for themselves.

But shelters are also a personal decision. There are many isolated camping spots
along the trail. My only advice is to experience all of the trail from time to
time, so your decisions will be based on reality, not prejudices.

Weary