[at-l] Slightly OT: Sugar Substitutes

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Hudson" <hudsom@us.ibm.com>

> Well, another one is MSG. It's only supposed to effect "X%" (fill in some
> really small number that I can't remember) of the population adversely. 10
> of us went out to dinner at a Chinese place, and 8 of us left with
> headaches and dry mouths, I think maybe the top fell off the MSG bottle
> while they were dosing things that night, never had a problem before, or
> since. BTW, MSG is "natural".
>
> skeeter

I recall pointing out in a similar discussion a couple of years ago (and it
bears saying again) that on your walks in the woods you will see many
varieties of mushrooms (and other things) which, if you ingest them, will
make you very ill or even kill you. Being 'natural' does not equate to being
'good for you'. By the same token many drugs have been refined from plants
and substances which, if ingested in their 'natural' state, might do you
harm or have no effect, are very effective treatments in their refined state
or compounded with other substances. Being 'processed' does not equate to
'bad for you'.

Saunterer