[at-l] Slightly OT: Sugar Substitutes

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shane" <shane@theplacewithnoname.com>

> ...clip... I always thought it was
> interesting that saccharine got a bad rap for causing cancer right around
> the time aspartame was 'invented'.  Now, many years later, they're saying
> that saccharine doesn't cause cancer...  We are hapless slaves of the
> sweetener industry.

The initial studies that showed saccharine was a carcinogen consisted of
feeding rats a diet of nothing but saccharine. I suspect that a diet of only
one thing (regardless of what it was) is bound to cause some sort of
illness. A balanced diet is necessary to health.

> Personally, I LIKE sugar.  It's all natural.

I like sugar too, but too much gives me sour stomach and/or makes me fart a
lot.