[at-l] Slightly OT: Sugar Substitutes

I know somebody has already commented on Sugar Substitues, but I deleted
that info.  And since I have been "warned" about my sugar intake, I would
like some comments on the best sugar substitutes to use.  I am not at the
point where I have to go SUGARLESS!!! (boy that's scary), but I do need to
cut back -- especially on sweetners for hot drinks.  And I know that some
subs are less harmful than others.

NOW AS TO SUGAR... I still recommend powdered sugar over regular sugar.  It
is sweeter per unit measure than regular sugar and MORE IMPORTANTLY, it
dissolves quicker in cold water: One chain restaurant that my parents and I
use to stop had powdered sugar packets in their sugar bowls -- along with
regular sugar and sugar subs.  I guess it was because they only had unsweet
ice tea and a lot of their custormers were Southern "born and bread".

BUT first use it at home to get an idea of its sweetening power.  You will
probably use less to get the same effect: That is, a teaspoon of powdered
sugar will be a lot sweeter than a teaspoon of granular (regular) sugar:
Powdered sugar is basically granular sugar ground up to a finer and thus
more compact consistancy.  10 X is finer than 6 X , etc.  All of which are
finer than the chunky grained regular sugar.  Note: An anti-caking agent is
added to "prevent" caking.  Usually a natural substance like cornstarch.

Once you are use to it, it makes a better hiking companion than chunky
regular sugar.

William, The Sweet Turtle

TRIVIA: Sugar at one time came is solid block/cone and you grated off the
sugar you needed.