[at-l] hiking poles

The Finger Lakes Trail leaves Walton NY on a road walk, with about four
miles to get back to the "trail" and another eight or so to get back to the
woods. Since I don't like the sound of the poles going "clack-clack" on the
pavement I was just carrying them. After about six miles my legs were
noticeably more tired than usual and I started using the poles again, which
seemed to make an immediate difference... BTW, this was well into the hike,
so it wasn't based on being out of shape. Speed? Probably makes a slight
difference in my pace, but that's not why I carry them; the faster I hike
the more my knees pay, poles or no poles...

skeeter