[at-l] Re: Does anyone here actually hike?

Because someone does not mention an actual hike does not mean they do not
hike.  Some just prefer not writing about their experience for any of
several legit reasons.  Some are unable to hike currently: I have to live in
city; have no car; and owe tons of student debts at my advanced age.  I only
currently hike when a friend drops by and takes me way out of the city --
unless you count city hiking.  And some are non-hikers like the guy who
maintained one of the nicest shelters along the southern AT.  Apparently he
never hiked except up to the section he maintained.  And what of all those
friends who just support hiking and the AT or one or more hikers: I have had
mail-drop friends who would no more hike than bungee jump -- actually bungee
jumping is a possibility.  But they are interested in the AT and support the
AT.  If non-hikers did not support the AT, there would be no AT.

Just because one does not do an activity does not mean that they do not have
something valuable to add to the activity.  Think of it this way, most music
teachers never become as famous or talented as their best students.  But
their best students would not progress if they did not learn how to play the
instrument.  Not many sit down at a piano and begin playing the Minute
Waltz, or Jazz, or Rock.

William, The Turtle