[at-l] RE: Off Topic-why? I don't know

> I believe that you cannot adequately fight against
> a wrong unless you know what that wrong is about.

I'll agree with that logic, and add the corollary that you cannot adequately
fight against a wrong unless you are properly equipped to do so.

> I will allow that some books need to be handled
> carefully and should be restricted.

I might allow that children should not be allowed access to certain things,
from pornography to advanced particle acceleration theory, but I don't think
that any kind of book should be banned to adults.

> Books did not make him sick.

And guns don't make you a killer.

> Yes people read things and get carried away with
> them.  But limit some books and sooner or later
> someone will want to limit what you read.

You could say the same thing about AK-47s...

> Not because she did not believe but because the OLD
> TESTAMENT was too course for young children.

I'd actually agree with that.  Religious brainwashing shouldn't start in
early childhood, if you ask me.  People shouldn't be exposed to that kind of
thing until they can at least consider the issues.

> I appreciate your view Shane.  And I love
> "arguing" with you, but again "They'll pry my book
> from my cold dead hands."

Who said we were arguing?  I'm just sitting here around the fire having a
chat.  :)

> PS	Would you limit the following book?  Lots of
> nude pictures of young girls?  Particularly their
> genital regions (primary and secondary).  It was
> available in a community college library in
> California.  A protest was lodged against it.  It
> was still in the library the last time I heard.  It
> was a medical text concentrating on physical
> problems in the sexual regions of young women.

Nope.  I don't think any such thing should be banned.  On general
principles, I don't believe in banning any book.

(Before someone hits me with, "What about child pornography?", I will note
that child pornography isn't in any way informational.  On top of that it
isn't even any kind of literature, but because the sexual abuse of children
is against the law, all child pornography is, by default, evidence of a
crime and therefore can be confiscated by law enforcement on that basis.)

> P2S	About the South: I remember going to school
> with pocket knives and no-one thought a thing about
> it.  And I guarantee a lot of the cars and
> pickups in the school parking lot had a gun or two
> in them.

Still do...

Shane