[at-l] who, where, & why

I'm writing from the office/plant room of my new home in Springfield,
MO.  First house; I closed on it last week.  It's a three bedroom
with a two car garage and two bathrooms.  That's a lot of space for a
29 year old single guy.  My daughter, who is here a couple of nights a
week has one of other rooms, and the third room has been scheduled (in
my mind) be painted, decorated, and turned into a guest room.  Anyway,
the office I'm writing from has three windows looking out on my big
backyard, but I can't see jack out the windows, cuz none of them are
low enough.  Well, I take that back.  I can see my silver maple and a
walnut tree in the backyard.

I'm a computer programmer by day, a martial arts instructor and student
by night, a father as often as I have the opportunity.  I'm currently
dating the woman of my dreams; I had a crush on this woman for years
before we finally took the plunge into dating.  We've been together for
a year and half.  I typically spend every other weekend in Madison, WI.
Everyone that knows thinks that 573 miles is a long way to drive every
other weekend.  To me it's just what I do to nurture the relationship
until she moves here in December.

I've been camping and spending time in the woods for as long as I can
remember, but didn't start backpacking until I was 18 and in the U.S.
Army.  After spending four years in the infantry I found that I couldn't
stop putting a pack on my back and going for walks in the woods.  My
friends taunt me for always wanting to go "to the top of THAT hill".
They know that if I'm put in the woods then I can entertain myself
endlessly.

I post from wherever I am; I have a CD in my truck that allows me to
connect to my home machine from wherever I am as long as I have access
to the internet.  Love that CD.

I've hiked none of the AT, only about 30 miles of the PCT.  I don't know
if I'll ever hike the AT; the PCT appeals to me more strongly, but I
like the people here, and I like the things we discuss.  I do manage to
get out overnight quite a bit, and have a constant stream of people
asking me to teach them what I know.  On free weekends you can usually
find me on a river or trail in Southwest Missouri or Northern Arkansas.

I have a 10 year plan, and I'm currently starting year 2.  At the end of
year 10 I'm quitting my job, selling the house, and buying a sailboat.
I hope to live a la Alby Mangles for a few years.  Now I just gotta
learn to sail.

For a fairly recent picture you can check out
http://www.asekenpo.com/Instructors.htm

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 11:15:01AM -0400, I received a message from Arthur Gaudet to which I felt pleasantly compelled to respond by saying: