[at-l] who, where, & why

On June 16, 2003, CaSaunterer wrote:
> I'm a health professional? News to me. I'm an artist/photographer who's
> retired from a day job as a bureaucrat in the Dept of Labor. Never been a
> "health professional" in my life.
>
> There has been a lot of assuming going on lately with folks using their
> assumptions as the foundations for rants. Most have turned out to be wrong
> or based on misinformation. Let's get back to hiking and the AT please.
Saunterer

So I'd like to start a new thread that allows a bit of information to flow.
This was inspired by an at-l (I think) thread that I read in 1996, just when
preparing for my 1997 thru. The task is to say a few words about yourself,
where you are writing from when you send to at-l, what the view is like from
your window (or cubical), and any info that might help with forming a mental
picture of who you are when responding to your messages. You may be
surprised at what we find out about each other.

I'm writing from the attic of my Mother's house in (sub)urban Boston. The
view out the window is houses shoulder to shoulder (1/8 acre lots) in an old
neighborhood, lots of kids, with a slope heading up to 400 foot high "Boston
Rock" a local drinking hangout near "the project". This is blue collar,
working class but not quite inner-city in it's feel. I get to the park
nearly every day for a nature hit. At age 50 it's kind of sad my hanging
around here but in a month or so I expect to be on my own again. I'm trained
as a mathematical physicist, computer scientist and optical engineer, have
worked at a small number of really great places.

I like to peak bag in New England, hike long distances (the LT and AT), do
trail magic, make polartec fleece hats & other camping gear, and write about
this stuff if someone wants to read.

There! So how about a few of you introducing yourself in the same way, or if
you like, use a rant similar to what Kelly did a few days ago!

--RockDancer AT '97