[at-l] the rest of the story . . . (I reckon I'm breaking mypromise not to post again, too!)

Well, i just stumbled on the response made by Wendy, and I have to say
that the level of my disappointment is high - the whole purpose of my
two prior posts has been to try and use real world experiences to make
the point that there is often more to the story and situation than we
want to admit, and that assuming the worst, or some black and white
perspective, can sometimes be just flat wrong.  At the same time, I am a
huge believer in personal responsibility - the key is to find a way to
punish the bad actions, while at the same time resisting visceral
response impulses and then, longer term, trying to use an appropriate
level of empathy and caution in judging or labelling the whole person.

Wendy, why did you immediately assume the worst re my diabetic client?
What factual information was it in my post that led you to conclude that
my client was unable to control his disease?  If you have a serious
enough case of diabetes to require multiple injections each day, I think
  it is just about impossible not to have a few incidences in a lifetime
of insulin treatments where you potentially can have a significant
insulin reaction - just as a supposedly "normal" and "responsible"
person can screw up a few times in a lifetime and thereby end up in
various accidents.

There seems to be an "assume the worst" affliction suffered by some who
have commented on the recent threads.  I know all about that tendency -
in a real way, that is all lawyers do for a living!  But doing it
intellectually to cover all the bases is one thing, but assuming the
worst case scenario as fact in reply posts is quite another.  As to the
specifics here, I rhetorically now ask Wendy:  Did my post indicate
whether my diabetic client had a history of being unable to control his
blood sugar levels?  No, it did not have any information on that issue,
other than the obvious fact that it had happened at least once.  Yet
based on that slender reed of a single incidence, you built an entire
house of assumptions - just the kind of reaction I was trying to gently
suggest to others to try and avoid.  [I reckon the sweet smell of irony
envelopes me once again! :)]  The whole point of my post was to use
diabetes - the very disease rogene earlier tried to say was so different
than alcoholism in terms of its ability to affect others - to make the
point that even diabetics can - in rare but documentable circumstances -
present a fatal danger potential to other people.  To me, there is much
less of a distinction between the two diseases than perhaps first
impressions would leave in this respect.  My even more fundamental point
was that there often are additional dimensions to a situation than first
meet the eye.  I hoped to strike a chord of open-mindedness re not
knowing all the facts - a chord that you promptly stomped on with both
feet by assuming the worst, and making a brand NEW assumption over that.

The fact of the matter is that all charges against my diabetic client
were dropped after it became clear that he was a responsible person who
simply had one, aberrational morning where his insulin levels got a bit
out of line.  I worked a deal with the district attorney to have all
charges dropped (he also had been charged with hit and run, and
resisting arrest!) in exchange for placement of a medical rider on his
driver's license; that rider would serve to both to alert future law
enforcement officials to his medical condition [and, yes, to forestall
yet another round of negative assumptions, he had all the usual diabetic
ID stuff, but his final collision with a tree and fence was violent
enough to fling his wallet and ID bracelet onto the floor of his pickup
truck, where the police missed seeing them during the critical next
hours] - and to document his driving record so that if this ever
happened again, DMV would have a medical reason to suspend or revoke his
driver's license.  Contrary to Wendy's negative assumptions, I'd say
that this was a good example of how justice and empathy can work together.

The other aspect of my client's story that bears further mention (to
better illustrate the point that there often is more to the story than
first meets the eye) is the fact that the local police who stopped him
actually ended up physically abusing my client, and even beating his
some; they, too, practiced the fine art of assuming too much - they
thought my client was high on PCP, so when my client would lapse in and
out of consciousness, and in and out of physically struggling and
cursing, they just beat him up, cuffed him and threw his ass in jail.  i
reckon you could say that his insulin shock behavior was mistaken by
them as drug induced insolence [as opposed to "insulince" - just a
little pun there to lighten the mood! :) ].  His doctors told me he
almost suffered permanent brain damage, and that he likely would have
died, foaming at the mouth, had not a friend of his at work started
calling every hospital in the area - the local jailer finally had carted
my client off to the hospital when he went completely comatose - still
with everyone treating him as a drug overdose case . . . lucky for my
client, his friend was able to learn of his hospital admission in time,
and then was able to convince the hospital receptionist to quickly get
word of his diabetic illness to the emergency room docs, who then were
able to revive him without any brain function loss . . .

So, you see, life is often a hell of a lot more complicated than we like
to assume; and while that is NEVER an excuse to absolve someone from the
proper consequences of their actions, life does often present us with
situations where that is a lot harder to sort out than we might like.
In closing, we all sometimes need to recall that old saying about what
happens when you assume things - it can make an "ass" out of "u" and
"me!"  :)

thru-thinker

Message: 34