[at-l] Apples and Oranges

In a message dated 6/15/03 7:53:48 AM Central Daylight Time, greyowl@rcn.com
writes:

> is not to victimize the
> victim but they got themselves into this situation.  The they did
> need to stay at the four pines, what is another 1/2 mile of hiking.
> The young lady did not have to make a snide comment to a drunk

   OK. Define snide. Does anyone "deserve" this result for a "snide" comment.
A mistake was obviously made by this young lady but how does the comment not
victimize the victim? As a counselor, I often struggle with getting
abuse/trauma victims to even recognize themselves as a victim (i.e., I shouldn't have
said that; I shouldn't have spilled the milk; I should have noticed he was upset
when he came home; but he/she promised never to beat me or the kids again;
but I thought all families were like that;etc) so healing can begin.  Otherwise,
the victim is somehow responsible for someone else's actions, thoughts and
feelings. We are responsible for our own actions, feelings, drinking, etc. Yes,
it would have been wonderful if she had hiked on or kept quite..but she
didn't.  Of course, she will have learned "a painful lesson" but let's leave
responsibility where it belongs...at least, that is how I feel.
    Just a thought from someone who has been there; has healed (scars linger,
of course) and now reach out a hand to others to help them heal.
    Grey Owl, you are so right about personal safety; calling for
professional help; moving on and the other wise advice.  I really learned to rely on that
first "impression or gut instinct." I was always more uncomfortable in town
than on the trail so I was pretty guarded...but then I am older...OK...old and
have learned a few things the hard way.<g> Skylander: good statements about
responsibility and definitions from DSM-IV
Know this topic is tired but I am interested in y'alls responses.
Dare