Re[4]: [at-l] Earthquake in Georgia

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob C." <ellen@clinic.net>
To: "Jim Bullard" <jbullar1@twcny.rr.com>
Cc: "AT-L List (E-mail)" <at-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2003 10:19 AM
Subject: Re[4]: [at-l] Earthquake in Georgia

> >"...Major visible damage to the natural environment is more likely to
result
> >from storms."
>
> Hmmm. Can a natural event "damage" the natural environment. I prefer to
think
> that natural events only "damage" human-altered, i.e. damaged,
environments. But
> then, of course, humans are also evolved like all other creatures,
naturally.

> What a puzzle.
>
> Weary

Well, in the sense that mature trees and other living plants were utterly
crushed under many tons of dirt, rock and debris I think it's fair to say
that there was "damage" in Avalanche Pass as a result of the slide. Had any
hikers been unfortunate enough to have been traversing the Pass at the time,
they would have been "damaged" as well, albeit naturally.