From: Bob C. [mailto:ellen@clinic.net]
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 3:16 PM
To: William Neal
Cc: 'Steve Landis'; AT-L List (E-mail)
Subject: Re[2]: [at-l] Earthquake in Georgia

>"...does anyone know if there are any MAJOR uplifts along the AT?"

I understand the entire Appalachian system is the result of continents
colliding
creating the mountains, and separating again. In fact the International
Appalachian Trail has been extended into Laborador, thus requiring a boat
trip
from Nova Scotia. Research indicates the same chain of mountains once
continued
into Scotland -- and maybe further. When the theory of colliding continents
first gains support 50+ years ago, some of the evidence was the similarity
between the rocks along the northeastern Coast of Maine and rock formations
in
north Africa.

 Some of the basic research was by an amateur geologist who never went to
 college, but ended up teaching at the University of Maine for years.

 Weary